- Last edited 100 days ago
1 Article purpose
This article provides the basic information needed to start using the gdbgui host PC tool.
The following table provides a brief description of the tool, as well as its availability depending on the software packages:
|Tool||STM32MPU Embedded Software distribution||STM32MPU Embedded Software distribution for Android™|
|Name||Category||Purpose||Starter Package||Developer Package||Distribution Package||Starter Package||Developer Package||Distribution Package|
|gdbgui||Debugging tools||gdbgui runs GDB in the background to build an easy-to-use graphical user interface. It is a browser-based debugger that operates through a web browser page. Since it is based on GDB, it can be used through a JTAG or an ethernet link with gdbserver.
|*: The Developer Package is required to run a GDB debug session that includes all dependencies.|
3 Installing the trace and debug tool on your host PC (Ubuntu Linux distribution)
|To avoid variable conflicts, the following steps must not be executed from a console where the SDK environment is set.|
If it is not present on your Ubuntu Linux® machine, install gdbgui via the Python package installer (pip):
PC $> pip install --trusted-host pypi.python.org --cert /etc/ssl/certs/ --proxy $https_proxy --upgrade gdbgui
Note1: If pip is not already installed, install it as follows:
PC $> sudo apt-get install python-pip
Note2: Depending on your environment, the --proxy option is not mandatory; if required, please check that $https_proxy is well defined, or replace it by your environment variable in the command line.
The gdbgui binary is then installed under $HOME/.local/bin/gdbgui. You can check it by using ths following command:
PC $> which gdbgui
4 Getting started with gdbgui
4.1 Running gdbgui using gdbserver
This environment is mainly used to debug applications. The Developer Package context (SDK) is used for setup.
- Start gdbserver on your target board for the userland program you want to debug:
Board $> gdbserver host:1234 hello_world_example
- Go to the source directory path:
PC $> cd <source_file_folder_path>
- Set the SDK environment and start gdbgui:
PC $> source <Your_SDK_path>/environment-setup-cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi PC $> gdbgui -g arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi-gdb
Note: In case of issue when starting gdbgui, please refer to the Error cases chapter.
- Select the "Connect to gdbserver" option from the top left menu.
- Fill in the ip address of the remote target including the port.
4.2 Running gdbgui using ST-LINK
In that case, GDB with openOCD environment is used in a Developer Package context (SDK). Please refer to Running OpenOCD and GDB.
Only GDB console command will be changed:
- OpenOCD console
- No change for OpenOCD. Please refer to the command described in the above link.
- GDB console
- gdbgui must be started with an argument providing the path to the GDB version available on your target board, as well as the config setup file:
PC $> source <Your_SDK_path>/environment-setup-cortexa7t2hf-neon-vfpv4-ostl-linux-gnueabi PC $> gdbgui -g arm-ostl-linux-gnueabi-gdb --gdb-args="-x <Your_full_path_to>/Setup.gdb"
5 To go further
5.1 Execution and debug
A button to program the execution (continue, step, next), and a panel showing all debug information (signals, thread, variables, memory) can be found on the top right of the gdbgui web page.
Please refer to the gdbgui web page for details.
5.2 Error cases
- socket.error: [Errno 98] Address already in use: ('127.0.0.1', 5000)
- This error occurs when an instance of gdbgui is already running in background.
- In that case, the connection to the gdbserver fails in gdbgui, and the message "remote 'g' packet reply is too long" is displayed.
- Just kill the gdbgui instance running in background to solve the issue.