- Last edited 7 months ago ago
STM32 header for binary files
The STM32 header is a STMicroelectronics header needed for binaries loaded by ROM code.
Each binary image (signed or not) loaded by ROM code needs to include a specific STM32 header added on top of the binary data. The header includes the authentication information.
|Magic number||32 bits||0||4 bytes in big endian:|
'S', 'T', 'M', 0x32 = 0x53544D32
|Image signature||512 bits||4||ECDSA signature for image authentication[Note 1]|
|Image checksum||32 bits||68||Checksum of the payload[Note 2]|
|Header version||32 bits||72||Header version v1.0 = 0x00010000|
Byte1:major version = 0x01
Byte2: minor version = 0x00
|Image length||32 bits||76||Length of image in bytes[Note 3]|
|Image entry Point||32 bits||80||Entry point of image|
|Load address||32 bits||88||Load address of image[Note 4]|
|Version number||32 bits||96||Image Version (monotonic number)[Note 5]|
|Option flags||32 bits||100||b0=1: no signature verification[Note 6]|
|ECDSA algorithm||32 bits||104||1: P-256 NIST ; 2: brainpool 256|
|ECDSA public key||512 bits||108||ECDSA public key to be used to verify the signature.[Note 7]|
|Padding||83 Bytes||172||Reserved padding bytes[Note 8]. Must all be set to 0|
|Binary type||1 Byte||255||Used to check the binary type |
- Signature is calculated from first byte of header version field to last byte of image given by image length field.
- 32-bit sum of all payload bytes accessed as 8-bit unsigned numbers, discarding any overflow bits. Used to check the downloaded image integrity when signature is not used (if b0=1 in Option flags).
- Length is the length of the built image, it does not include the length of the STM32 header.
- This field is not used by ROM code.
- Image version number is an anti rollback monotonic counter. The ROM code checks that it is higher or equal to the monotonic counter stored in OTP.
- Enabling signature verification is mandatory on secure closed chips.
- This field is an extract of PEM public key file that only kept the ECC Point coordinates x and y in a raw binary format (RFC 5480). This field will be hashed with SHA-256 and compared to the Hash of pubKey that is stored in OTP.
- This padding forces STM32 header size to 256 bytes (0x100).
The OTP used for the Version number and the Hash of pubKey are defined in the chapter “OTP configuration“ of the ROM code overview.