- Last edited one year ago ago
STM32MP15 ecosystem release note - v1.0.0
This article aims to describe the content of the release STM32MP15-Ecosystem-v1.0.0 for STM32MPU Embedded Software distribution and its associated ecosystem.
- 1 Delivery purpose and scope
- 2 Intended audience
- 3 Licensing
- 4 Main features / main highlights
- 5 Recommendations of use
- 6 Main restriction list
- 7 Minor release updates
- 8 Reference documents
- 9 How to get the software and start with this release?
- 10 STM32MPU Embedded Software distribution detailed release notes
- 11 Referenced tools release notes
- 12 Change log
- 13 References
1 Delivery purpose and scope
The purpose of this delivery is the Mass Market release, aka STM32MP1-V1.0.0, provided to STMicroelectronics customers.
The scope of this ecosystem delivery, dedicated to STM32MP15 devices, is:
- The STM32MPU Embedded Software distribution:
- The OpenSTLinux distribution running on the Arm® Cortex®-A7 processor(s)
- The STM32Cube MPU Package running on the Arm® Cortex®-M4 processor
- The associated tools: : Referenced tools
- STM32-CoPro-MPU Eclipse plugin
- Signing tool
- The documentation:
- This user guide (wiki format)
- Documentation package : Reference_documents
- The supported boards: Boards
- STM32MP15 Evaluation board
- STM32MP15 Discovery kit
Aim of this release:
- To provide a full ecosystem for STM32MP15x devices.
- To work efficiently with STM32MP15 boards, using one of the Packages developed by STMicroelectronics for STM32 MPU devices (Starter Package, Developer Package, Distribution Package). See Which Package better suits your needs for more information on these Packages.
2 Intended audience
The targeted audience consists in STMicroelectronics customers.
This software package is licensed under SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT, the "SLA". Customer may not use this package except in compliance with the software license agreement (SLA).
4 Main features / main highlights
|Boards||PCBs list||Content||Availability||Distribution Package||Starter Package||Developper Package|
|EVAL Rev.C||MB1263C (Daughter)
+ MB1262C (Mother)
+ MB1230C (Display)
+ MB1379A (Camera)
|STM32MP1 STM32MP157AAA3 Rev.B
PMIC STPMIC1APQR cut1.2
|Jan'19||Machine stm32mp1-boards-revc for all flashs
Machine stm32mp1-eval-revc for SDCard
|EVAL Rev.C Starter Package||EVAL Rev.C Developer Package|
|DISCO Rev.C||MB1272C (Mother)
+ MB1407B (Display)
|STM32MP1 STM32MP157CAC3 Rev.B
PMIC STPMIC1APQR cut1.2
|Jan'19||Machine stm32mp1-boards-revc for all flashs
Machine stm32mp1-disco-revc for SDCard
|DISCO Rev.C Starter Package||DISCO Rev.C Developer Package|
- Warning STLINK in EVAL and DISCO Rev.C boards integrates the latest firmware STLINK (V2J32M22) which requires upgraded USB PC drivers - new Windows USB driver
4.2 Embedded software
4.2.1 Cortex-A7 Linux software
- STM32MP15 microprocessor support with following components:
- Kernel version LTS v4.19.9
- TF-A version v2.0
- U-Boot version v2018.11
- OP-TEE version v3.3.0
- openOCD version v0.10.0
- Build process
- OpenEmbedded Thud (v2.6)
- GCC version v8.2
- Applicative components
- Weston version v5.0.0
- GStreamer version v1.14.2
- GCnano version v6.2.4
4.2.2 Boot configurations
- At boot, you can select two kernel configurations:
- Configuration 1: All internal peripherals assigned to Cortex-A7 for Linux drivers, Cortex-M4 coprocessing firmware TTY executed by default
- Configuration 2: Some internal peripherals assigned to Cortex-M4 to execute Cortex-M4 delivered examples on the board (EVAL or DISCO) see (How to run Cortex-M4 examples).
- Configuration 1 activated by default if you do not specify 2 in the console at boot.
4.2.3 Cortex-M4 Cube firmware
- The STM32Cube HAL, STM32 abstraction layer embedded software ensuring maximized portability across the STM32 portfolio. HAL APIs are available for all peripherals.
- Low-layer APIs (LL) offering a fast lightweight expert-oriented layer that is closer to the hardware than the HAL. LL APIs are available only for a set of peripherals.
- A consistent set of middleware components such as FreeRTOS, OpenAMP.
- All embedded software utilities, delivered with a full set of examples.
4.3 STM32CubeProgrammer, Signing tool, Key gen
- Flashload SDCard, eMMC, NAND, NOR images through USB and UART for EV1, DK1, DK2 boards
- Private and public keys generation
- Images signature with hash public key
- Flashlayout file format change
- STM32MP1 fuses management (with console interface only)
- PMIC NVM management (with console interface only)
4.5 SW4STM32 IDE
STM32-CoPro-MPU plug-in integrated in SW4STM32 IDE covers the Arm Cortex-M4 development and debug with:
- SW4STM32 plug-in to support Cortex-M4 STM32CubeMP1 in Production mode and Engineering mode
- Cortex-M4 Firmware compilation, Load, Debug
- PC Linux with Ethernet (recommended) or serial link
- PC Windows with Ethernet or Ethernet over USB link
- Cortex-M4 Firmware installation directory configurable
This plug-in is delivered with SW4STM32 from version 2.8.0 SW4STM32 release note
Note: To use delivered Cortex-M4 examples per ST board, the user needs to enable Cortex-M4 examples device tree configuration using U-Boot
- Detailed features are available in the release notes of the different items constituting this delivery.
- See sections STM32MPU Embedded Software distribution detailed release notes , Referenced tools release notes and Reference documents
5 Recommendations of use
- Develop board based on STM32MP1
- Flashload and boot from all flashes SDCard, eMMC, NAND ONFI, NOR
- Application can activate Low power modes (STOP and STANBY)
- Develop Linux application, libraries, kernel modules based on OpenSTLinux delivery
- Develop Cube application with coprocessing link based on Cube delivery
- Prototype some applications based on ST boards
- Stress available features
5.2 Not recommended
6 Main restriction list
6.2 Embedded software
- Some modes proposed in CubeMX for Cortex-A7 non secure context not supported in Cortex-A7 secure context. See details in STM32MP15_OpenSTLinux_release_note_-_v1.0.0#Main_restrictions_list
6.3 STM32CubeProgrammer, signing tool, key generator
6.5 SW4STM32 IDE
- Exhaustive restriction lists are available in the release notes of each delivery.
- See sections STM32MPU Embedded Software distribution detailed release notes and Referenced tools release notes .
- Implemented SW workarounds information in STM32MP15-Ecosystem-v1.0.0 release based on workarounds proposed in STM32MP15xx device errata. See STM32MP15_ecosystem_errata_sheet
7 Minor release updates
STMicroelectronics regularly delivers corrections through github® components which are u-boot, optee-os, tf-a, Linux kernel.
You can decide to incorporate them into your developer package (please refer to STM32MP1 Developer Package) or Distribution package.
For updating Distribution package please proceed as follow:
More rarely and independently, STMicroelectronics also delivers fixes on layers through github®. These changes can be integrated (via git commands) into your local STM32MP1 Distribution Package environment. Please find below the github® links of the quoted layers :
8 Reference documents
All the resources for the STM32MP1 Series are in the Resources area of the STM32MP1 Series web page.
The resources below are referenced in some of the articles in this user guide for the STM32MP1 Series.
|AN5031||Getting started with STM32MP15 Series hardware development||AN5031.pdf||v1.0|
|AN5109||STM32MP1 Series using low-power modes||AN5109.pdf||v1.0|
|AN5253||Migration of microcontroller applications from STM32F4x9 lines to STM32MP15x lines microprocessor||AN5253.pdf||v1.0|
|AN5122||STM32MP1 Series DDR memory routing guidelines||AN5122.pdf||v1.0|
|AN5168||STM32MP1 series DDR configuration||AN5168.pdf||v1.0|
|ES0438||STM32MP15xx device errata||ES0438.pdf||v1.0|
|RM0436||STM32MP157xxx reference manual
(STM32MP157xxx advanced Arm®-based 32-bit MPUs)
|RM0442||STM32MP153xxx reference manual
(STM32MP153xxx advanced Arm®-based 32-bit MPUs)
|RM0441||STM32MP151xxx reference manual
(STM32MP151xxx advanced Arm®-based 32-bit MPUs)
|MB1262 schematics||STM32MP157C-EV1 motherboard schematics
|MB1263 schematics||STM32MP157C-EV1 daughterboard schematics
|MB1230 schematics||DSI 720p LCD display daughterboard schematics
|MB1379 schematics||Camera daughterboard schematics
|MB1272 schematics||STM32MP157x-DKx motherboard schematics
|MB1407 schematics||STM32MP157x-DKx daughterboard schematics
|Boards user manuals|
|UM2535||STM32MP157x-EV1 evaluation board user manual||UM2535.pdf||V1.0|
|UM2534||STM32MP157x-DKx discovery board user manual||UM2534.pdf||V1.0|
9 How to get the software and start with this release?
The list of embedded software packages available for downloaded depends on the Package to be used.
More information can be found on STM32MPU Embedded Software distribution and the supported Packages, at:
The table below provides the available board part numbers and the source of information in order to:
- Get started with one of the three available Packages (Starter, Developer or Distribution Packages)
- Get started with the board
- Find the associated embedded software distributions
- Download source code
- Build an embedded software
|Board part number||Jump to|
|STM32MP15 Evaluation boards - getting started, including software download|
|STM32MP15 Discovery kits - getting started, including software download|
10 STM32MPU Embedded Software distribution detailed release notes
The table below lists the software packages available in the STM32MPU Embedded Software distribution, and provides the corresponding release notes.
The release notes provide more information and details about the features and content of each package.
The release notes does not explain how to get software. For that, refer chapter How to get the software and start with this release
|OpenSTLinux Distribution||STM32MP15 OpenSTLinux release note - v1.0.0||openstlinux-4.19-thud-mp1-19-02-20|
|STM32Cube MPU Package||STM32CubeMP1 Package release note - v1.0.0||STM32CubeMP1-V1.0.0|
11 Referenced tools release notes
The table below lists the available tools, and provides links to the respective release notes.
Each release note provides information on how to install and use the corresponding tool.
The set of tools to be downloaded depends on the Package to be used (double check Which Package better suits your needs article to find more information on each Package).
|Tools||Release notes||Host PC||Which Package may need the tool ?|
|Linux version||Windows version||Starter Package||Developer Package||Distribution Package|
|STM32CubeProgrammer||STM32CubeProgrammer release note||2.0.0||2.0.0||☑||☐||☑|
|STM32-CoPro-MPU plug-in for SW4STM32 IDE||STM32-CoPro-MPU plugin release note||1.0.0||1.0.0||☐||☑||☐|
|STM32CubeMX||STM32CubeMX release note||from 5.1||from 5.1||☐||☑||☑|
|Keygen||KeyGen release note||1.0.0||1.0.0||☑||☑||☑|
|Signing tool||Signing tool release note||1.0.0||1.0.0||☑||☑||☑|
12 Change log
See detailed release notes for more information STM32MPU Embedded Software distribution detailed release notes and Referenced tools release notes .
- The part numbers are specified in STM32MP15 microprocessor part numbers