- Last edited 3 months ago ago
Development setup for STM32MPU Embedded Software
This article presents the recommended material for development on a host PC.
The recommended setup for the development PC (host) is specified in the following article: PC prerequisites.
Whatever the development platform (board) and development PC (host) used, the range of possible development setups is illustrated by the picture below.
The following components are mandatory:
- Host PC for cross-compilation and cross-debugging, installed as specified above
- Board assembled and configured as specified in the associated Starter Package article
- Mass storage device (for example, microSD card) to load and update the software images (binaries)
The following components are optional, but recommended:
- A serial link between the host PC (through Terminal program) and the board for traces (even early boot traces), and access to the board from the remote PC (command lines)
- An Ethernet link between the host PC and the board for cross-development and cross-debugging through a local network. This is an alternative or a complement to the serial (or USB) link
- A display connected to the board, depending on the technologies available on the board: DSI LCD display, HDMI monitor (or TV) and so on
- A mouse and a keyboard connected through USB ports
Additional optional components can be added by means of the connectivity capabilities of the board: cameras, displays, JTAG, sensors, actuators, and much more.